View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff

Achievement Points : 60
Waifu : DigiDigi, Digi(^w^)

PostSubject: Digi's Study Guide   Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 am

It is that time of the year again, the bloody SATs are coming up in March and you got a 1000 on your last test score. You want to go to uni, but you just meet the requirement of most scholarships. Taking the SAT again may increase your odds of doing better. You know what to expect, so go for it!

Where to start?!

Here are some pointers from Princeton Review on the SAT:

Princeton Review wrote:
We're not big fans of the SAT. It doesn't measure intelligence. It can't possibly measure your future success in college. The SAT measures one thing, and one thing only: how good you are at taking the SAT.

That's good news! It means you don't have to be a genius to improve your score. You simply have to understand how the exam works.

Here are three SAT tips to help you be a smart test–taker:

Know the order of difficulty.

SAT questions can be divided into three levels of difficulty: easy, medium and hard. The questions in the first third of each section are easy, those in the second third are medium and those in the last third are hard. (The only exception is the Reading Comprehension passages, which do not follow this order.)

Every question on the SAT is worth an equal amount. So spend your time making sure you get the easy and medium questions correct and tackle the hard questions if time remains. Rushing through the test to get to the hardest questions will only drag your score down.

Don't be Joe.

Joe Bloggs is your average student. He gets the average score, 500, on each section. He gets all of the easy questions correct; he gets some of the medium questions correct; he gets all of the hard questions wrong.

Why is this important to you? Because our friend Joe is predictable. He gets all of the easy questions right because the choices that look correct are correct. He gets all of the hard questions wrong because the choices that look correct are wrong. If you know what Joe will do, you can make better decisions!

If you're working on an easy question, the answer that seems right probably is. If you're working on a hard question, the answer that seems right is always wrong. Use this strategy to help you eliminate choices for difficult questions.

Use the process of elimination.

Don't know the right answer? It happens. But if know which choices are definitely wrong (see above), you significantly improve your chances of getting the question right.

Each question has five possible choices. Eliminate one or more possibilities, and your chances of guessing correctly are 25% or better. An incorrect guess will cost you only a quarter of a point. A correct guess will add an entire point.

Let's say there are 8 questions where you eliminate 1 choice and guess among the remaining 4 choices. Statistically, you will guess correctly 2 times and incorrectly 6 times. You are rewarded 2 points and penalized 1.5 points. You just earned .5 points from guessing. Congrats–you've improved your score!

Now here are my personal tips for studying in general.

1) Getting Started:

Isolation

The chances of your "study group" actually studying are pretty lax. Most of the time, study groups are really friends just goofing around and being unproductive. You need to be focused and taking your study times seriously. So find a quiet place (if you're in uni, then this is really emphasized) that you are sure to be alone, free from socializing.

Music

I always listen to music while I study to keep a "productive rhythm". What I mean by that is that I like to pace myself when I study to reduce stress. You may want to listen to instrumental music (Classical music is highly recommended--Mozart in particular.) Distinct voices can often confuse you when you're trying to mentally read things, so if you want to listen to music with lyrics, then you may want to find a very quiet voice or one that is soothing such as Folk or some sort of progressive-electronic band such as Chromatics.

Wrong

Right

Unplugging

Try to eliminate as many distractions as possible. Silence your phone, get off the internets (with a few exceptions that I will list,) and stay isolated. Now for the exceptions. I suggest using a service such as Spotify or Pandora to play some personalized radio or play one of your own playlists on YouTube, phone or iPod, etc.

2) Study:

Notes

Just like in school, jot down notes! If you have some sort of reading comprehension, then this skill will definitely come in handy forever. Take notes of the most important parts of the material rather than skimming through it.

If you are studying for a test/quiz in school, then here is what Melanie Pinola of Lifehacker suggests:

Melanie Pinola wrote:
Your professor says an awful lot of things during class. You can't possibly write it all down, nor should you. To take the best notes (and ace your exams), pay attention to your professor's cues—conscious and subconscious.
Part of a great guide on note-taking strategies by Brett and Kate McKay on The Art of Manliness, these are the tell-tale signs that you should be writing down what your professor is saying:

*Anytime the professor says, "You need to know this," or "This will be on the test." Duh.

*Anytime the professor repeats himself.

*Anything the professor writes on the board or includes in a Powerpoint slide.

*Anything the professor repeats very slowly so that it can be taken down word for word.

*If your professor starts talking more quickly, or loudly, or with more emphasis.

*Watch for language that shows relationships between ideas. These sorts of points are often where professors get their exam questions from:
>first, second, third

>especially, most significant, most important

>however, on the other hand

>because, so, therefore, consequently

Another great tip is to write down any examples or hypotheticals the professor offers, because you'll probably see a similar one on your final, especially if you're taking math or science classes or are in law school. Examples are also key in computer science/programming classes.

Sometimes, depending on the professor, paying attention is the hardest part. But keep your ears perked for these keywords and points and you might find yourself with more effective notes.

Highlight

Coloring important notes can help you retain the information. Pictures also help as well. If the concept is too much for bullet point notes, then draw out a concept map.

Repetition

Say your notes outloud to yourself, read them over and over again. Write everything over again if you have to. It will eventually sink in.

Test Yourself

Test yourself to see if you have retained the information. This also serves as a way to improve on the things you fail at. Take note, this concept can be used at many, many things outside of school.

3) Extra Tips:

Have Fun!

When you draw pictures to help retain information, draw some cute or funny pictures to help you remember it. Or copy/paste a picture to your document right besides the specific note to keep a visual reminder of what the concept is. It can help!

Stretch Break

You will be more productive if you take a break ever 20 minutes or so. Say you work for an hour. You work for 20 minutes, stretch and walk around for 20 minutes, and get back to work. That is what I'm talking about here. It will definitely help you be more productive and help you focus more so than non-stop studying.

Stay Healthy

Make sure to eat well several days before the event. You also need to sleep well before the event. Believe it or not, sleep helps retain information.

Start Now!

If you want to be successful, you need to learn over a larger amount of time. Cramming won't cut it anymore. You can cram for small events like vocab quizzes, but for larger exams, you probably want to master the material before entering in. Study now, do better later.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources:
http://lifehacker.com/5879941/what-to-write-down-during-a-class-lecture?tag=studying
http://lifehacker.com/5975203/improve-your-learning-with-practice-tests-and-skip-less-effective-techniques-like-highlighting
http://lifehacker.com/5827854/take-a-20-minute-break-between-subjects-for-better-memory-retention?tag=studying
http://lifehacker.com/5896513/study-before-bed-for-significantly-better-retention?tag=studying
http://lifehacker.com/5739299/take-a-break-from-reading-and-test-yourself-to-retain-more-knowledge?tag=studying
http://lifehacker.com/5804934/sounds-you-hear-during-sleep-may-aid-your-memory?tag=studying
http://www.onlinedegrees.com/degree360/student-focus/rock-your-way-to-higher-grades.html
http://lifehacker.com/5933569/how-to-remember-more-without-trying-too-hard?tag=memory
http://thumbnails.visually.netdna-cdn.com/the-secret-world-around-you_5029117207ea8.jpg
http://thumbnails.visually.netdna-cdn.com/social-cognitive-theroy-2_509e198532757.jpg

Je t'aime comme un frère, Kimo. Je ne partirai jamais ton côté.

Quotes
Spoiler:

Last edited by DigiDigi on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unknown
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 25
Waifu : therealUnknown

PostSubject: Re: Digi's Study Guide   Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 am

*glances at homework*
Nope.
*starts new game*

Back to top Go down
View user profile
L.Lawliet
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : L.Lawliet

PostSubject: Re: Digi's Study Guide   Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 am

Very useful articles Digi!! Also for those who actually want to try the whole classic music thing, I suggest you check this - http://www.youtube.com/user/thepianoguys

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Legendaryfrost
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : LegendaryFrost

PostSubject: Re: Digi's Study Guide   Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:11 pm

The music I listen to when I study is the same music I listen to when I'm not studying, either way nice work babe.

Al-Bhed: I always had my balls in my hand
Al-Bhed: yep, dark bribe is certainly a +3, and I'll explain how
Al-Bhed: say you have 5 backrows and the opponent tries to heavy you, that would be a -4, then you flip bribe and go -1 in the process, -1 - potential -4 = -1 - (-4)= -1+4 = +3

bakura normal: By the time i draw it my shine balls are already below a gachi gachi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scar
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 7

PostSubject: Re: Digi's Study Guide   Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm

study groups? that sounds like a great idea thanks!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digi's Study Guide   

Back to top Go down

Digi's Study Guide
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
World Dueling Academy :: Off-Topic :: General Discussion :: Blogs :: Counselor's Corner-
Jump to: