View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Sega acquires Index Corporation   Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:06 am

It's official, Sega has acquired Index Corporation (no relation to a certain girl puncher) and thus Atlus. http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20130918_index_e_final.pdf
Let me quote a part of that,
Sega wrote:
The Company believes that transfer of Index’s operations to SEGA will create synergies, on the
grounds that the deal will enable the Company to (1) gain access to prominent IPs in the home video
game software, through which the Company can expect to achieve steady flows of revenue; (2) expect
further facilitation of revenue growth for the PC Online Game Business and Content Business for Smart
Devices operated by SEGA and SEGA Networks Co., Ltd. by exploiting acquired prominent IPs and (3)
maximize the value of acquired IPs by effectively deploying them in the Pachislot and Pachinko
Machines segment, Amusement Machine Sales and Amusement Center Operations segments.
*throws up in mouth a little*

It's no news really that SEGA is focusing a lot on stuff outside the main gamer territory (and sometimes outside the gamer territory entirely), we've seen online games (sidenote, the pso2 I was mentioning the other day is SEGA) and the pachinko focus is known. There is a very small chance this will affect Atlus, other than SEGA lending their IPs for irrelevant stuff, at least knowing SEGA. The issue is elsewhere.

Localization. Welcome to one of the worst international publishers in terms of localization. Games even from their main franchises that would have sold or at least profited after localization in the west sometimes just can't seem to make it outside of Japan, Yakuza 5 and Valkyria Chronicles 3 to name a couple, with the aforementioned Phantasy Star Online 2 which was initially stated to be localized now stuck in an indefinite delay of a localization limbo. There is where the problem with SEGA lies, they are too focused in Japan to the point where they'll go blind to the rest of the world as per standard Japanese policy.

Now, does that mean western markets are not getting Persona 5? I'd say even after some delay we'll get it, however, the SMT franchise in general is known to spawn a bunch of titles with some of them being more of a niche than others, and with SEGA in charge I find it hard to believe well be getting as many of them in english now while of course I just reject the idea that we'll be getting anything right on time. Heck, it could be possible we'll skip a number or something in the future. If you are a Japanese fan of the SMT franchises, then you don't have much to worry about. Otherwise, it may get a bit stressful.

Well, there's always the chance Atlus will have to work on MMOs and iOS stuff, but that probably won't be the case, SEGA may be bad at localization but that doesn't make them Microsoft. And hey, even if they don't get localized on their own, I feel the existing fanbase would be willing to go for fan-translations, which is nice in its own way, I prefer Japanese voices with English subtitles.

Quote :
25 Jun 17, 02:12
J.J. Knight: Every homebrew, at least the good ones, are made by people who've played the game for a few years.

Quote :
marthbeatsfalco: nope, there are 5 distinct and significant angles

This is now the iconic statement sig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Kimo Force

PostSubject: Re: Sega acquires Index Corporation   Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:18 am

Let the Sonic/Teddie jokes begin.

EW: also wtf does SJW stand for? Stupid Jealous Woman?
Ryuuji Takasu: looks cute. but cute sounds girly. so ill say kawaii
Lesbihonest: damn kimo you have the sexiest male voice ive ever heard o.o
Rika Furude: no, that wasnt ripped from the Bible or something, it's one of Rika Furude's poems in Higurashi. Deep ****.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle

Achievement Points : 12
Waifu : MangArmand

PostSubject: Re: Sega acquires Index Corporation   Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:10 am

I just wish that Atlus be independent. As it is, the best thing for Sega to do is to just let all of their partners do their own thing and just sit back to watch their profits soar. Sega is a good company, but like you mentioned, localization is an issue(Atlus has it right.)

Quotes:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ilikeanimesobiteme.tumblr.com/
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: Sega acquires Index Corporation   Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:07 am

I wouldn't say them being uninvolved will bring the optimum profits, I mean all the things they've described, they are much more profitable in the short term than letting just Atlus do whatever with the "prominent IPs", obviously, the more you cash in on something the more cash you get. It may hurt their long term potential, but the general idea is to cross that bridge when you get to it when we talk about too far into the future, meaning, it wouldn't be weird for them to not care right now about whether persona 7 will sell, especially when they have maximized their profits in the meanwhile until losing that good faith. In such an amount of time they can make other moves and exploit something other than Atlus, it's really long term, destructive progress is generally an acceptable thing in business like that, while some fail with it (capcom) others manage to keep cashing in with success (yeah, people are getting tired of CoD, but how much money did milking that cow bring in until that happened?).

What I am getting at is what's best for everyone may not be what's best for them, such is the way of business, letting them do their thing is what's best for gamers, for atlus, for the franchises, maybe not their best profit option, but in the end SEGA maximizing their profit is none of our business nor something we should be concerned about. We can only hope that SEGA at this point opts for a more stable plan instead of running Atlus dry, as for the reasons why they would do that, SEGA is a big boy in this business, perhaps too old, so I won't count on game developer ethics or whatever, but rather on their inability to keep up a business model of depleting their resources and just jumping to the next one, the main reason of which would be them perhaps not being good enough to get other resources in the future (meaning, now there's atlus, but will they able to get something else later?).

Quote :
25 Jun 17, 02:12
J.J. Knight: Every homebrew, at least the good ones, are made by people who've played the game for a few years.

Quote :
marthbeatsfalco: nope, there are 5 distinct and significant angles

This is now the iconic statement sig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kitouski
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

Achievement Points : 2
Waifu : Chino

PostSubject: Re: Sega acquires Index Corporation   Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Hates current day SEGA in pretty much every aspect, so my default response is that SEGA shouldn't touch anything in their game's creative development or marketing, but that's obviously not going to happen. The best selling idea is not always the most faithful or fan favorite, and SEGA knows this better then a lot of companies.

I'm trying a Youtube thing! https://www.youtube.com/user/BearOnStilts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Kimo Force

PostSubject: Re: Sega acquires Index Corporation   Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Jack Frost or Teddie in the next installment of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing.

EW: also wtf does SJW stand for? Stupid Jealous Woman?
Ryuuji Takasu: looks cute. but cute sounds girly. so ill say kawaii
Lesbihonest: damn kimo you have the sexiest male voice ive ever heard o.o
Rika Furude: no, that wasnt ripped from the Bible or something, it's one of Rika Furude's poems in Higurashi. Deep ****.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sega acquires Index Corporation   

Back to top Go down

Sega acquires Index Corporation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
World Dueling Academy :: Games :: Casual Gaming-
Jump to: