View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: E3 - The Treehouse   Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:13 pm

I've watched a lot of E3 these 3.5 days, and most of it was the nintendo Treehouse live, in fact I probably watched 90% of what they showed, and they showed a lot, exceeding in duration even the official twitch stream of E3 which was about everything, often with more content while at it (the twitch stream would reserve its last 2 hours on autopilot with an Evolve Tournament that went throughout E3 and did not even manage to finish).

I talked on chat about how I had issues with the E3 twitch main stream, often the casters didn't manage to hide well their lack of interest in the topic, you would often spot an awkward silence or someone nodding "excited" with a generic expression while the other person was mid-sentence and had yet to actually make a point. For me it was close up interview followed up by trailer and the cycle would continue. In fact one of their ads even had this conversation: "How is the stream for you?" "It's fun, I guess". Even they weren't sure it was good.
I can't really talk for microsoft, their stream was on their site and there is no video on demand, their twitch stream was just their indie game booths, just to fill up the space. Sony used Ustream instead which doesn't keep VoDs either automatically, but I often noticed them recycling content (while the indication said Live). As I am looking at it while writing this (the recycled live) I see a lot of trailers used to pad time (many of which are for multiplatform games) and interviews done with a serious outlook on a black background.

Nintendo's E3 event was hosted by Treehouse, and for those who are not aware, Treehouse is Nintendo's localization team. That means those people know the games they are talking about, to localize a game you have to understand it after all. That means, for one, they always seemed comfortable with what they were doing and did not have to fake interest at random games they were thrown. There is a massive difference between getting hype at a random part of a game you were just shown and showing excitement because you played that part of the game and it was really interesting in a way. At no point did they try to sell an epic environment, it was constantly bright and friendly instead, passing this atmosphere not only to the viewers, who could see a proper set instead of an amateurish close up interview, but also to the guest developers, who were comfortable not just because they knew they were dealing with people from the company their game is exclusive to (meaning they did not have much to worry about, even if they did not do their job perfectly, the hosts could still carry) but also because the hosts had the ability to make them comfortable.

Nintendo managed to deliver a very pleasant experience showing nothing but exclusive games, 3 days in a row at an average of 8+ hours in a row each (which can still be found here http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo/profile/pastBroadcasts ). There were almost no hiccups, voids, miscontinuations of the program, or anything like that and thank goodness no random tossing of advertising at the wall hoping it sticks as I saw elsewhere (obviously it was one big advertisement, but a fun one) at any moment you switched to it you would either be infected with the fun those people were having or would find something interesting.

At a point I switched to the main Twitch stream of E3, it was obviously the featured stream on twitch, so if you went to Twitch, you were already watching it. They had the Evolve tournament they've had for days, moving towards the finals (which did not happen at the end because they ran out of time). At the time, they had less concurrent viewers than nintendo's Treehouse event. The Treehouse live at the time had one of its slowest moments, they were talking with the developers of the Devil's Third, a game that was made for previous generation platforms originally, and footage from the game was not being shown for over 10 minutes. If you like Nintendo, that stream would draw you in.

I know I'm a nintendo fanboy and I have shown it, heck the reason the nintendo support is so vocal around here is partly because I am loud enough about it. But it is also true that for me this was the best E3 to follow ever, and Nintendo was to thank for that, the Treehouse event was just that fun for me, I really had trouble doing anything else while it was on, if I could not multitask on it while at least listening to the broadcast, chances are it was pushed aside. I can only hope that this will happen again next year, it would increase my looking forward to E3 by at least 300%. Also, I am actually sold on getting at least one amiibo if the 3DS adapter is affordable, and trust me, I am not the kind of person to buy figures.

Quote :
25 Jun 17, 02:12
J.J. Knight: Every homebrew, at least the good ones, are made by people who've played the game for a few years.

Quote :
marthbeatsfalco: nope, there are 5 distinct and significant angles

This is now the iconic statement sig

Last edited by Al-Bhed on Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle

Achievement Points : 12
Waifu : MangArmand

PostSubject: Re: E3 - The Treehouse   Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Ah yes it was finally mentioned. The amiibos. Amiibos vs Skylanders vs Disney Infinity. This is going to be really awesome to add on to yet another reason to get a 3DS (for me I will be getting the 2DS purely because of the convenient price.)

The problem with Sony and Microsoft is that there were not a whole lot of exclusive content like Nintendo had. There's still no real motivation for me to go out and invest hundreds of dollars on a PS4 and an Xbone. Believe me, I want to have all of the big 3 consoles, that's what I've done in the past. But now I'm older and I actually know how to invest my moneys, none of the 3 have done that really until now with Nintendo stepping up to the plate and slapping me in the face with GAMES (alongside figurines and editing software.)

Let me start discussing about investments in the big 3. Given that you are a user who often plays with friends and has social gatherings based around video games, you're going to want to have the consoles that you own with a maxed out inventory (4 controllers w/ accessories.) Having the WiiU at a $330 price tag (Mario Kart 8 bundle sells the best atm,) and slapping on controllers ($30 for Wiimote and $45 on the Pro) and accessories (~$15) all equates to about $465 USD (excluding games that are not pre-installed.) Then on the other end you have the PS4 Destiny Bundle at $450 (already about equal to the final Wii U price,) added alongside 3 more DS4 controllers ($180, $60 each) equates to $630 USD (excluding games that are not pre-installed.) Now lets talk about Microsoft. Microsoft smartened up and LISTENED to us by having their Kinect-less bundle at $400. Lets add on the Xbone Controllers ($60 each, $180,) putting the Xbone at $580 without any games pre-installed in it. So your ending line-up looks like this: $465 (Wii U), $630 (PS4), $580 (XbOne.)Now if you wanted to you could throw in a game or two, maybe three AAA titles, so lets add on an extra $180 to your tab to all of that; let's not forget the indie games--you'd probably want about $20-$25's worth of solid indie games because honestly they're worth the investments that you'll make for them. So for games, you're looking to drop another $200's worth. For Wii U, you're looking at $665 now; for PS4, you're looking at $830; for XbOne, you're looking at $780. If you were a hardcore fanboy for all 3 of these companies and are a social person, your estimated price for these 3 consoles combined ends up being about $2275 USD.

Now if you were a person who only plays alone and wants to invest, you're looking to get your Wii U at $345 USD, your PS4 at $450, and finally your XbOne at $400. So for games, you're looking to drop another $200's worth. For Wii U, you're looking at $545 now; for PS4, you're looking at $650; for XbOne, you're looking at $600. If you were a hardcore fanboy for all 3 of these companies, your estimated price for these 3 consoles combined ends up being about $1795 USD. That's a lot of money for us.

With Nintendo being about $100 cheaper in general than their competitors, with the fact that Nintendo now has all of the hyped up exclusives and won E3 because of these games, it will be no doubt that their pre-order sales will fly through the roof--including selling the actual units out more and more now. I'm seeing how mainstream video games are even on my Facebook wall with people who are super casual* react positively to Nintendo's success at E3 [casual gamers that only play games like Flappy Bird, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush, Farmville, etc.] Nintendo has reached more of the casual audience and more, they will get the sales they need to truly make their comeback financially (we know that they've been suffering hard the past few months because of their failures in the past few years with this system...) It's a damn shame that they had 2 years to get this system going like it is now, though its amazing that they have this opportunity to make this comeback and I hope they continue to take advantage of this situation--I really want to see them succeed and not go under like Capcom is.

As for me personally, my family already owns a Wii U. I will personally be pre-ordering Smash Bros for the 3DS and I'll even buy myself a 2DS AND invest in Amiibos by this fall me thinks. I truly have reason to spend at least $500 on the 2DS--there's just that many good games for it.

Nintendo, keep up the good work...please...

Quotes:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ilikeanimesobiteme.tumblr.com/
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: E3 - The Treehouse   Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:31 pm

For me the reason I wouldn't buy the other two is overlap. I have a PC right over here sharing over 80% of the library of both, and playing them better, even if I had the money for them I would find it more sensible to further upgrade my PC, I would need to have plenty of money flying out of my pockets to consider making the purchase of one of those two consoles.

In the case of nintendo consoles, it's not like my PC can't top the graphics, but it can't play the games either because every good game there is an exclusive, so it would make much more sense to invest in a console to be able to play every game it has instead of investing in a console to do what my PC does, worse. People keep talking about the lack of 3rd party support for the WiiU, but isn't that completely irrelevant to someone who already owns a gaming PC? I have the opposite opinion, because PC exists, 3rd party dependency can really damage a console's viability in the long run, I imagine as PC gaming spreads such issues are bound to emerge.

To bring up an example, in the previous generation there were a lot of Wii games I enjoyed, but the only reason I ever wanted to go near one of the other two was that PS3 had MGS4. My PC was fine for everything else. I know my tastes are not like most western gamers, but at least according to those tastes, I find no reason to go for those consoles.

Quote :
25 Jun 17, 02:12
J.J. Knight: Every homebrew, at least the good ones, are made by people who've played the game for a few years.

Quote :
marthbeatsfalco: nope, there are 5 distinct and significant angles

This is now the iconic statement sig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: E3 - The Treehouse   

Back to top Go down

E3 - The Treehouse
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum