Hang-OutCalendarHomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:10 pm

We have been considering for the longest time EA to be the worst ass in gaming, and even if it wasn't them we would turn to the likes of capcom etc. But among them, someone was flying below the radar... You wouldn't notice them, they weren't the kind of guys to shower you with dlc or pull especially prick-ish moves, they seemed like they would listen to stuff and made some reasonable moves over time. Sure they'd make a bunch of sequels yearly and it would be mostly the same game. Sure all their games would look the same so even if they made different franchises it would still seem awfully like a sequel for that other series. Sure, they forced you to use some of the worst DRM in gaming consistently, but at least their games were ok for what they were, there was actual work put into them and it seemed for the most part an acceptable deal, other than the fact you should have gotten bored of them after the first one.

But what do you know, all along, the seemingly at-least-not-as-harmful Ubisoft, had it in them, and in one move they manage to out-ass EA taking the lead in the worst gaming company race! Did you miss the latest explosion of the internet and are wondering what is Al rambling about again, putting an unnecessary amount of words in his posts like always? Is it the fact the watch_dogs we received was not as good as the one in the E3 showing? We already knew about that piece of false advertising, was this really necessary? It's not even their fault, right? They were just a bit too ambitious and had to hold back.
Ohohohoho, it does not stop there kids, not even close.
Naturally, when a crappy pc port is released, people will try to mod it, naturally, that will make them look into the game's code and assets. And what did people find there?
All the graphics effects we saw at E3, still intact and functional.
http://abload.de/img/1402943413586ngopq.jpg they even had E3 in their name, explaining what their purpose was there.
It's not that Watch_Dogs couldn't handle the graphics on PC or that they would not work, Ubisoft intentionally downgraded the PC version of the game to the level of "next-gen" consoles so that console gamers wouldn't see a difference and to avoid showing evidence that "next-gen" consoles are already lagging behind the high end PCs.
So, how big a difference is it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkLUEGWeSts here's a showcase for the mod (which basically unlocks what already is there and utilizes it). If you've played the game, you'll know what the difference is.
For those interested (although I know most here don't have a powerful PC, and you'll need one, game was intentionally made to perform like crap) here is the mod's page http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114

As many have stated, at least EA is trying to get better (although not with hardline they aren't, but hey, it's the FPS deal), but intentionally downgrading your own game for PR purposes, especially when that is your biggest title, is one of the scummiest things you can do as a game developer. At least others are tricking the customer, you are tricking the customer AND destroying your own work in the process.

But hey, maybe they won't feel the need to do that again after the first game since the consoles are already out now, right?
Here's a quote from Ubisoft's Alex Hutchinson on Far Cry 4 development, talking on the major Nelson podcast http://majornelson.com/cast/2014/06/12/e3-2014-show-far-cry-4-mortal-kombat-x-and-more/
"So even out of the box, even day one, we just stuck the code on the new consoles and we were able to dial it all the way up. So as a console player you’re already getting by far the best version we can ship."
We already know next-gen consoles aren't as powerful as high end PCs, meaning that statement is obviously bs, which means, get ready for another downgrade folks! At least you can expect every Far Cry 4 trailer you see between now and release day to likely be a lie.

This image that is going around the internet, showing a comment in a piece of their code, represents their attitude excelently

Quote :
25 Jun 17, 02:12
J.J. Knight: Every homebrew, at least the good ones, are made by people who've played the game for a few years.

Quote :
marthbeatsfalco: nope, there are 5 distinct and significant angles

This is now the iconic statement sig
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Kimo Force

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Ubisoft used to be my favorite company out of all the big dog gaming companies out there, but after E3 and all the other stuff which they said about not having females in AC, and now this, I think I'm starting to prefer EA even more now.

To be frank though, the only game series that I liked from Ubisoft were Far Cry and Rayman.

But yeah, if there was an award, Ubisoft would get scumbag of the year. TotalBiscuit tweeted about this, but I'm sure he'll be ready to go all the more in-depth about it in a video later.

EW: also wtf does SJW stand for? Stupid Jealous Woman?
Ryuuji Takasu: looks cute. but cute sounds girly. so ill say kawaii
Lesbihonest: damn kimo you have the sexiest male voice ive ever heard o.o
Rika Furude: no, that wasnt ripped from the Bible or something, it's one of Rika Furude's poems in Higurashi. Deep ****.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:07 am

I'll just point out that what may be the biggest scandal of the games industry this year has yet to be reported by most of the big gaming news sites (only found it on IGN of all places), since games "journalism" has to focus on more pressing matters for the industry, like the ending to s4 of Game of Thrones.

P.S.: On other crappy games companies, it seems that Capcom is now open to buyouts.

Quote :
J.J. Knight: Every homebrew, at least the good ones, are made by people who've played the game for a few years.

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Leokane
Zombie Child
 Zombie Child

Achievement Points : 19
Waifu : Leokane
DoolFool

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:55 am

BUT DAT S4 ENDING DOE!!!!!!!!!1 (But seriously that ending was crazy.)

Hopefully Capcom's IPs get bought by people who will make great games out of them because I still feel that Capcom has some of the greatest gaming series ever made they just don't do anything with them anymore or they fuck it up like they do with Resident Evil. I also want another Asura's Wraith with HD graphics and not overpriced because Asura's Wraith is fucking HYPE.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://instagram.com/leokanexyz
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:03 am

Wait, hold on. You mean that there's something even WORSE than both hiding the PC graphic of Watch Dogs and the Capcom buyouts?!

Rika Furude: no, that wasnt ripped from the Bible or something, it's one of Rika Furude's poems in Higurashi. Deep ****.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:18 am

Biggest scandal refers to the topic of the discussion, the watch_dogs thing. But you could also argue it's the game of thrones ending, why not.

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:41 am

Just adding more fuel to the fire.

Also, a guy on Reddit tried the mod and uploaded screenshots of what the game looked like afterwards. There's a high chance that they may be fake in my opinion for various reasons. However, they still are worth looking at, and in case if they are real, then yeah.

http://imgur.com/a/lLdoQ#0

Well, at least this game has some actual hacking in it. Hacking the graphics that is.

Last edited by Kimo Force on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:11 am

Breaking news, Ubisoft is determined to be the undisputed worst gaming company ever, after watch_dogs and the news on FC4, now The Division is also revealed to be up for downgrading.

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:39 pm

And will still require more processing power and more video-card power despite both versions looking the same. Will also run pretty sluggish too. .-.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pumpkin Row
SKY FIRE
SKY FIRE

Achievement Points : 42
Waifu : Nourii-tan~

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:45 am

Kimo Force wrote:
Ubisoft used to be my favorite company out of all the big dog gaming companies out there, but after E3 and all the other stuff which they said about not having females in AC, and now this, I think I'm starting to prefer EA even more now.
The no females in AC thing, i heard, was because it would take alot more time and effort, and would miss the deadline or some shit. i don't think its that big of a deal but, yeah, this new thing here is bullshit.

Favorite Quotes~:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:36 am

The time and effort thing was bs really, the did a lot more insignificant work on the game, character models for female npcs were already in and just needed a couple days to finish, and money is a non-issue to Ubisoft as a developer, at least the money to give existing character models a new wardrobe and make them playable.

It was their design decision and you can argue on that, why waste time arguing with obstinate investors for example, or how do you fit it in the main campaign to take that character to co-op afterwards, but they decided to make a silly lie instead and that makes them douches.

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle

Achievement Points : 12
Waifu : MangArmand

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:00 am

I think I'll just say they're either being purely malicious towards us PC gamers or they're just stupid. There's no real other conclusion. They need to be malicious towards us PC gamers only because they know for a fact that all 3 consoles have sub-par performance and are lazy simultaneously. If that's not the case, they're just hosting a den of idiots and need to fire a few people (and by a few I mean a good number of idiots that are in upper management.)

Quotes:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ilikeanimesobiteme.tumblr.com/
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:01 am

So we had EA in 2012.
Microsoft in 2013.
Ubisoft this year in 2014.
Now I wonder who'll be the biggest victim next year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 am

@Reikan
Well, console market is a lot easier to sell the same stuff over and over at 60$ to. It's a much more controlled market and Ubisoft really wants it to succeed. If you think about it, right now, what does PeasantBox and PeasantStation have going for them? First, party, not that much. There's indies but that hardly justifies the "Omg, this is so next gen, look at all the pretty graphics" system. At the moment they are pretty much depending on Ubisoft, EA, Activision etc. and because of that Ubisoft is a pretty big player there. Watchdogs hyped to all hell, AC always selling, and their other franchises work as well, when you take that into account they themselves are a big piece of the pie, so they have to be active in ensuring their success if they wish to keep that approachable console gamer market.

It must be annoying even to them to see how hard a thing that is to do, since they can tell first hand how underwhelming in horsepower the new systems are. So they have to balance it, and they do that by doing less work, everybody wins. The performance issues on PC are not to be ignored, those aren't there randomly, or just due to incompetence. Gaming news sites would advise people to stay away from the PC version because of how bad it was, and while that may also be the console success party at work, it also has some truth, PC version was poorly optimized making the console one more appealing (at least before the graphics were fixed).

@Kimo
Remember the Activision. Those guys are coming out as "not horrible" just because they are not EA, and EA is doing that now by being not Ubisoft. It feels like the big 3 of third party has accepted that to be profitable they have to be scum and are content with racing to 2nd place.

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Well here's a quote from a Kotaku article that they got word from Ubisoft about this troublesome situation...

The Watch Dogs Team wrote:
The dev team is completely dedicated to getting the most out of each platform, so the notion that we would actively downgrade quality is contrary to everything we've set out to achieve. We test and optimize our games for each platform on which they're released, striving for the best possible quality. The PC version does indeed contain some old, unused render settings that were deactivated for a variety of reasons, including possible impacts on visual fidelity, stability, performance and overall gameplay quality. Modders are usually creative and passionate players, and while we appreciate their enthusiasm, the mod in question (which uses those old settings) subjectively enhances the game's visual fidelity in certain situations but also can have various negative impacts. Those could range from performance issues, to difficulty in reading the environment in order to appreciate the gameplay, to potentially making the game less enjoyable or even unstable.

Thanks for playing Watch Dogs and stay safe on the mean streets of Chicago.

Blasphemy.

Quotes:

Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:34 pm

For a game that runs on an i3 processor at bare minimum, that just feels like a lot of bull. I checked the requirements for this game, and nothing I have fits anything this game requires. Most people who do have an i3 Processor already have powerful computers. There's also the fact that the game runs terribly on PC anyways, yet runs smoothly with the same settings on console. I know that PC games do look better, but let's be honest, if you make a game that runs terribly even on i7 processors and high-end video cards, then make it run on a console with computing power that is significantly lower, chances are you didn't do a good port for the former.

Also, if you were afraid that these options would degrade performance, why not put an in-game option to remove them? Skyrim has that for surface reflections, particle effects, and many more stuff.

Rest of their reply is just repeating the same thing over and over. For god's sake, Ubisoft, I just got Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon at a discount, don't make me regret that too (although I probably will anyways cause of UPlay).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:55 pm

I won't get in depth for now on the amount of BS due to last minute studying, but https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/ubisoft-and-the-mysterious-case-of-subjectively-better-visuals

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sukkito
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Sukkito

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:56 pm

Same thing that happened to Dark Souls PC port,geeeez will they ever stop forcing us to buy consoles.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:09 pm

I will agree that From Software should have taken action, but the fault wasn't entirely on them, not to mention that they are a Japanese company too, so even working with Steam isn't all that simple yet for Japan.

And unlike with Ubisoft at the moment, there is still a glimmer of hope.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/19/5732560/dark-souls-pc-games-for-windows-live-namco-steam

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:10 am

The difference is that From Software is a japanese developer, for all the things they can do they can't make ports to PC unfortunatelly, it's a racial trait actually. They didn't port properly because they didn't know how to. Ubisoft has proven they know how to port, and following this statement, it's almost certain the intent was malicious.

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:24 am

TB wrote:
They had 6 extra months to develop the game! What did they do during those 6 extra months?!

Figuring out how to nerf the DLC too.

Quotes:

Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:42 pm

The Division Developer wrote:
"We really loved the reception to the demo we showed on the PC version at E3. Currently as it stands, there is definitely a lot of push coming from publishers to not make the experience so different on consoles as to alienate people into thinking that next generation is not as powerful as PC. This is probably what happened at Ubisoft Montreal. I think that while making stability changes is definitely important, it does not completely obliterate a lot of enhanced rendering applications.

Right now we already took out quite a lot of screen space reflections from the game and are working on asset management the best we can given consoles have that great unified memory. Naturally we will also be using online servers and have to produce a synchronization that higher graphics add to the latency so it had to be turned down. To me it still looks good, but not as good as the original reveal. I am sure as we get closer to launch and the actual console versions of the game featuring SD (Snowdrop) that it will start to seem all too obvious to people especially those on PCs. I just wanted to write and let you know that it definitely is not just stability but marketing politics plays into this a lot as well."

UPDATED 2nd Response from The Division Developer: "Truth be told in regards to your question that while ‘Yes’ the lead platform is the PC, we simply cannot have such a big gap. As you know when the first WATCH DOGS Review was published by that one site, Ubisoft called it a “false review” and I am sure everyone can see how bad that sounded when they saw the game did look marginally better than something that was a last generation GTA IV. But no, they will not admit that they practice this or actively downgrade a game. It is much easier to say they removed things for stability which is often a lie as you can tell by the post-issues which are expected in any production we do.

Also to answer your 3rd question, no…they will never fully disclose what was removed from what build as no laws ask them to do so in terms of consumer rights. If we as developers published that information in very real terms for the consumer such as “Replaced particle fog simulation with 2d layer simulation in 3d space, removed particles from all explosions, lowered explosion volume multiplier by 20x, removed X # of trees and civilians, etc.” we would be out of a lot of sales and probably it would actually require too much time to deliver on the current hype that a lot of downgraded games see which look incredible with a vertical slice. I do share this in the hope’s that my colleagues and publishers and a lot of people who make false promises and do demonstrations which wrongfully create too much hype that they cannot deliver on ultimately stop doing such things. I want to see the industry actually move forward and not be so full of itself by promising too much and delivering too little. Regards."

Source:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rumor-the-division-has-already-been-downgraded-visually/
http://whatifgaming.com/the-division-developer-insider-we-already-downgraded-a-few-things

The developer on The Division decided to leak this to the internet, to try and give an honest explanation of what's going on. I guess both Al and I were right on one thing.

Gentlemen, more fuel has been set. Now light it up.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:12 am

Kimo Force wrote:
I guess both Al and I were right on one thing.

What about me, huh?! I totally had a hunch that this was malicious. I think we all knew there was some marketing politics involved, its just obvious too.

Quotes:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!   

Back to top Go down

Ubisoft takes the lead! What a turnaround!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
World Dueling Academy :: Games :: Casual Gaming-
Jump to: