View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
danna45
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 14
Waifu : arcade bumstead

PostSubject: so like i went to japan   Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:32 pm

and now i'm blogging about it cuz i have nothing else to do and i feel like typing stuff

I spent ten days on the soil of Area Eleven, the land of the rising sun. I have now returned and will now record my experiences, for this section is otherwise dead as shit. Of course, I have already experienced the entire trip and am trying to recall everything in hindsight but I shall try to make it exciting, as if I was reporting the events live, for the sake of my dear dear readers that number in the single digits at best...

I am quite aware many of our active members(of which we have very little) have at least a passing interest in Japan. Perhaps one of you plan to travel to Japan someday, or maybe reading about a fellow member's experience there fascinates you, or perhaps you're a stalker and you want to know every little detail of my life, you fucking yandere. Either way, I'm typing up those 10 days as lazily as I can and posting it here so I don't forget about it and hopefully it'll entertain someone and maybe prove to be useful too. But probably not.

As a side note, during the ten days most of what I consumed were books so I'll go off-topic into those often to fill in the word count.

Day 1, December 22nd

I was to travel to the airport on this day with my family and then off to Japanland we go. We were going to land at Hong Kong airport first, stay there for a few hours, then fly to Japan. This would be and was my third time going to the country so I was excited but not overly so. My country isn't too far from Japan so it's only a stop inbetween but if you're further away you might be stopping by a lot of other places.

Somewhere down the line I made a misunderstanding and thought we would leave house by 7 pm so I bade farewell to cbox and closed my laptop at around 6:45(some of you may remember this). Finding I had some time before I would leave, I picked up Totto-chan, a famous autobiography of a Japanese woman that I started reading two months ago but never got to finishing. It's quite heartwarming and the ending was depressing and I quite recommend it but I digress. I finished the novel and found the time to be way past 7, and after inquiring, found out about my flawed assumption.

Things flowed pretty smoothly from there, we left the house, we reached the airport, we gave our luggage over(a suitcase and a suitcase-sized bag, we weren't bringing much because the weight would be a pain to pull around). We waited and ate some Subway until we boarded the plane at 1 in the morning and then it flew. This technically means the Day 1 entry ends here but I might as well go into the pre-flight planning and other stuff.

Back to the luggage part, knowing what to bring over to Japan is pretty important and will save you time and suffering. You will be walking around with it a lot and spend a lot of time not being sure where exactly to go and having to haul stuff with you makes it a considerable pain. The two luggage bags aside, each of us had our own bagpacks. I mostly brought clothes, and only enough for a few days. You'll be re-wearing clothes anyway and if you stayed in an apartment you'll be able to wash them. I also brought along some novels. But it was mostly clothes.

Someone brought along the iPad which I mostly monopolized for the duration of the trip too.

On a side note, don't risk nyaa or manga sites while in Japan unless you plan to purchase a VPN. I'm not too in the know about this but it's better to be safe than sorry. I spent those ten days without any sort of chinese cartoons for entertainment and in that aspect it was hell.

There's only so much to cover when the first day's relevance to the actual trip is only six hours and most of it was spent waiting so at least the lack of interesting things in this part is justified but I'm already wondering how the fuck am I going to make the next day not be boring to read.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
danna45
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 14
Waifu : arcade bumstead

PostSubject: Re: so like i went to japan   Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:42 am

Supa is pestering me to continue for some reason so I shall. Also comments on how to improve or how much/little should I write will not go unread.

Day 2, December 23rd

I slept on the flight and woke up at like 6 or something Hong Kong time, just as the plane landed. We got off and stayed in the lobby until 9. Hong Kong airport had wi-fi so I used that to connect and chat in cbox for a little bit. Think Supa was on, I can't recall that much. Ate some waffles for breakfast, it was kinda shit to be honest with you fam. Some little trivia, you can't post on 4chan from Hong Kong at all. I tried. They block the entire country's IP but at least I could view it.

We got back on flight and this is when I learned that we had to stop at Taipei too before reaching Japan. Fuck all these interflight stops, I could've been in Japan already if not for those.

Anyway, on the flight, I finished The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and HOLY SHIT, THAT FUCKING ENDING. AND THE SET UP THAT LED TO IT. IT'S FUCKING GENIUS. CHRISTIE YOU FOOLED ME AGAIN. It started off slow but by the midway point, every fucking page revealed something important and exciting, it's godlike. Definitely my favorite Christie mystery thus far. Listening to some of Umineko's OST really nailed the feeling of being an English murder mystery too.

Afterwards I spent the flight playing Inflight Sudoku, which in my opinion deserves a GOTY award. And fuck Battleships.

We reached Japan at around 5 or 6 PM and unfortunately the weather was bad so I couldn't gaze out the plane window to admire the city lights like I was able to the last two times I flew here.

The plane landed and we arrived at Narita Airport! And chances are you will too if you ever make plans to come here. It's a nice airport, I don't know what else to say. Luggage came by pretty fast in the luggage belt area and that's about it. Also I got my unexpected first haul of loot here.

A phone card.

It doesn't look super exciting but open the box and you get...

A Shingeki no Kyojin card.

Wow.

If they're selling this shit in airports then AoT really must be that much of a normalfag thing. At least give me Mikasa or something. Still, my parents bought it and couldn't figure out how to use it so I claimed it. It's actually pretty handy, you scratch off something on the back to get a number, then you dial 0055, then you dial that number on the back before dialing the number you want to call. It's a thousand yen(10 ameridollarydoos), I'm not sure how many minutes of phone time I'll get but I probably won't get enough to cross time and space and become an omnipotent being for the sake of saving my lesbian robot-obsessed friend.

Anyway, we used the subway train and arrived at...Chiba.

You know, the place 8man worships.

Chiba.

Not Tokyo, but it's still in the greater Tokyo area or something.

Chiba. Took an hour of sitting in the train to reach there. Used the time to start reading Hallow'een Night(wrong season but oh well). Also I never noticed it the last two times I came here, but the trains in Japan are quite a bit longer than the ones in my home country. Each individual compartment is pretty long. Can't give an estimate but it felt long at least. And it''s also very quiet. And it's winter so the seats are actually heated from below which made it very, very comfy. GJ, Japan.

So, Chiba. We were to check in at the so-called 'Chiba Washington Hotel'(can't help thinking about Denzel). We had to walk and ask around a while before I saw a red sign pointing down an alley saying the hotel name. I won't deny it, it looked pretty shady but it's a normal, albeit with rooms too small to really be comfortable, hotel. I actually took some pictures of the place but I must've accidentally deleted it because I don't have it in my phone's memory. And I forgot to take any pictures of the interior which I now regret.

Before this we dropped by Family Mart and bought some food(which wasn't half off because it wasn't late enough yet)(You may not know this but after a certain time, convenience stores half-price their food because it's no longer considered as fresh and would be thrown away after the day ends or something), I bought a Karaage lunch box which again, I didn't take a picture of because taking pictures of food isn't a habit of mine and I ain't no normalfag, but I digress. I didn't ask them to heat it in the store because I had assumed that at my room in the hotel, there would be a microwave.

It didn't, as you can tell from me trying to preface into this.

We checked in and after getting a room to myself, I ate the food cold. It was surprisingly palatable. No really, it's good stuff. Just not half-off.

I was still hungry though and went downstairs. And then in the hotel lobby, I saw it. A heated food coin machine.

I'm not sure what they're actually called but you know, you drop in 3 100 yen coins, pick from 9 different things to eat, and then the food drops into a compartment and heats itself for around two minutes or something. I'm not sure if America has something like this but fuck, I was astonished. They even included chopsticks in the box.

I ordered some fried chicken with french fries and it tasted alright. Had a bit of a plastic after-taste to it but I'll live. Incidentally this is not an observation I'll make until a few days later but it seems that in Japan, most of the time when you order french fries you get the large, thick, short ones instead of the long, thin ones(you know, normal french fries) you normally get at McDs or something. Even KFC here sells the large ones.

Seeing I needed not leave theĀ  hotel, I stayed in the room and tried to use the cbox for a bit, before sleeping. Unfortunately it seemed no anime was airing, or the hotel didn't have the right channels, I'm not really sure. Either way, this seemed like the right place to end the second entry. Didn't expect it to be this long to be honest, I guess I'll thank Supa for bothering me to write this.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nour Force
Chaos Goddess
 Chaos Goddess

Achievement Points : 114
Waifu : Botan!

PostSubject: Re: so like i went to japan   Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:20 pm

danna45 wrote:
I'm not sure how many minutes of phone time I'll get but I probably won't get enough to cross time and space and become an omnipotent being for the sake of saving my lesbian robot-obsessed friend.
;_;
everyone should go read that mango

danna45 wrote:
We checked in and after getting a room to myself, I ate the food cold. It was surprisingly palatable. No really, it's good stuff. Just not half-off.
The "half-off after a certain time" explains a lot of things to me. Sure would've been tastier if you competed for that karaage bento with cute girls, riiiiiight?

...aren't these little "travel logs" supposed to be daily, from the day you're in Japan, as in, posting day 1 during day 1 and-- no, no, what am I thinking, jeez. Though it really is fun to read them. I hope you'll continue.

Shower the guillotine with drink.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.worldduelingacademy.com
Jaden ecchi
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Jaden H

PostSubject: Re: so like i went to japan   Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:31 am

weeaboo trash
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://heroduelacademy.forumotions.in