View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Reeeeeee0   Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:15 am

I feel like complaining. I feel frustrated and feel the need to place fault on others for it. So I blame the amazing clumsiness of Re:zero somethingsomething.

It was nice but never stellar, about the time of motivational speech #395 around episode 4 or something, you could feel it was not the best structured thing ever. Now it feels like the same thing is happening in different words.

We went through the first cur so it now feels like it's time for character development for the MC! the writer said. So let's develop! Slight problem in the plan, there is nothing to develop, his character was never really shown. Between a general laissez faire approach to things mixed with unwarranted enthusiasm, instant switches to decisiveness, instant switches to ZETSUBO!!! and no real reasoning as to why any of that occurred as there is literally nothing we know about that guy, he just feels like a speech spewing machine, words put on paper and assigned to a character because it would feel cool if someone said them.
And that's all fine, you don't actually need to show any of that, and no one said you have to do any exposition, one can be a cool-stuff-saying machine. The problem arises when you assume that thing is a character and try to develop it.

So how do you develop characters? Well, my anime/manga/LN handy handbook says they have to embarrass themselves, their existing flaws have to come to light in a big way causing them to mess up, and someone has to do a violent speech about how much they suck! But wait! The handy handbook clearly says "existing flaws". As is, that is part of the character, so you work on those to develop them! Oh well, whatever, let's just make them up as we go along.

So bam! At the capital the main character is embarrassed by his major flaw of... forcibly putting himself in embarrassing situations? Whatever, it works, NOW, embarrassing ugly face! Embarrassing ugly words! Schism! Step done, development in progress, let's proceed.

Wait, actually, no, we are not sure you quite understood what we were trying to do in episode 13, as this face
Spoiler:

could convey so many other things (granted, with how ham-fisted facial expressions are in this anime, I could see this being vague), so let's have another episode with ONLY second hand embarrassment to make sure you get it.
So as you get your load of second-hand embarrassment in the crowd, because nothing done until now was symbolic enough, let's have him also randomly knocked down to the ground to make sure monkeys can get what we are trying to convey. I'm surprised they didn't escalate with a raincloud appearing only above him, a passing carriage spilling mud on him as the horse drawing it turns its head around mid-run and accurately spit-snipes him, a dude walking up to him, punching him in the face and then shouting "YOUR FACE LOOKED PUNCHABLE" in a heavy Scottish accent before merrily skipping away. And it just goes on and on with people pointing out flaws being made as they go along and calling out how much he sucks.

Plot kinda advances in the next episode with him being in shock, a bad guy appearing, and him calling the mc out about how he is not actually in shock because he is not the same kind of overdone anime crazy he is, because we were missing that from last episode really and we still needed it drilled into the head of the last cat on the planet that did not get what we are trying to do here. But hey, at least now the MC got a purpose and we are now ready to move on from-
What? No silly, that was just step one and two. Did you forget the sermons? It's ok, we'll remind you. Sermons time!

Episode 16 starts, so it's sermon time.
"You suck because you only care for revenge!"
Well, ok, we just established this at the end of the previous episode, so this segment was entirely pointless since we would just need to cut the end of the previous episode and the start of this one and nothing would change, but whatever, it's solved now, sermon done, let's proceed to the next step and-
"You suck because you are greedy!"
Another one already? It's been what, 2 minutes? Well, whatever, I mean, yeah, it's ok from our perspective as viewers since we know how the character has been acting, what's wrong with him as well as the fact he cannot really die and will be able to fix everything in the end regardless, while from her perspective, as she does not have that information, someone is desperately begging her to save his loved ones and in response she calls him greedy and threatens to kill him making her a massive prick, but whatever, maybe it's a symbolic kind of thing, ok with that we are done and we can-
"You suck because you don't know how to negotiate!~"
... Are we running the princess sermon gauntlet? If the Little Mermaid was in this show, would she have berated him for his lack of swimming expertise? I mean, yeah, I get the problem, he has not been concerning himself with people, we have been subtly made aware of it by having it rubbed in our faces with subliminal messaging such as
MC: "URGH THEY ARE ALL USELESS!"
but why is everyone so concerned with polishing their monologue game on him? At this point I'm fully expecting the Scottish dude from before to come back, yell at him for a good five minutes about how his clothing choices suck and kick him in the face for it.
And what's worse is, since none of this is getting to him, we are going to be getting more of this, right?

Yes, I get what's going on, believe me, I do. But usually you'd demonstrate the flaw at some point in the story, shine some light on it some time later, have the consequences grow and then deal with it. In this case, we are making flaws up as we are going along, immediately rub it in everyone's faces as hard as possible to make absolutely sure everyone gets it, and then immediately start hammering them and hammering them and hammering them, in a long overdue, boring roller-coaster of character development. Done normally, resolving them would take one episode, a good one episode at that. Now we are sixty minutes of air time in and we seem to be stuck in the loop of everyone telling the MC how much he sucks. And half of it isn't even making any sense if you think about it because they are more like the things one would think about themselves in self deprecation rather than something another human being would tell them. If we get an "it was all a dream" twist about the whole series, it would make sense, because those are the criticisms one would have in his own head, maybe they really are all useless because they are not acting like a different person outside of his own head would. Maybe all those princesses are written like that as a literary device to symbolize one's own internal turmoil, but from what I've seen up to now, I highly doubt that much skill is involved. The thing that's clear here is that the writer wanted to develop the character, but he did not really know what to do and had not completely thought it through, so he's just stumbling around over and over, repeating the same patterns in a massive waste of time. Maybe the writer, maybe that's not it, maybe it's done better in the LN and it's the anime that's not giving the information that would fix this, but as I said I need to find fault on someone and I have made my choice.

So, what I'm getting at here by wasting half an hour of my life, is that I wasted 40 minutes of my life more than I should have wasted, and I blame...
*Googles*
... Tappei Nagatsuki for that, just because he wanted to do his character development, realizing "oh shit, I haven't actually written a main character up to now", and then going for the character development anyways, pretending there was something there all along, parading the empty shell hoping it would fill up eventually, like the schoolkid that forgot his homework and makes up answers on the spot in a desperate attempt to pretend he actually did it.

Quote :
25 Jun 17, 02:12
J.J. Knight: Every homebrew, at least the good ones, are made by people who've played the game for a few years.

Quote :
marthbeatsfalco: nope, there are 5 distinct and significant angles

This is now the iconic statement sig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unknown
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 25
Waifu : therealUnknown

PostSubject: Re: Reeeeeee0   Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:33 am

fucking weebs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nour Force
Chaos Goddess
 Chaos Goddess

Achievement Points : 114
Waifu : Nitocris! Can we replace Juri for Nito?

PostSubject: Re: Reeeeeee0   Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:40 pm

Spoiler:

this sucks ;_; mansion best arc
And here I was thinking "otto best girl(totally girl)" but he did a thing so screw Otto
He loves Emilia
>Zero kara hajimeru isekai seikatsu o!
Didn't even say re

No, please, stop, you're not allowed to talk about my graphics skills! (or lack thereof)

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.worldduelingacademy.com
danna45
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 14
Waifu : arcade bumstead

PostSubject: Re: Reeeeeee0   Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:52 pm

Nooooooooooooooooow that rezero is over

Watching the last episode I think I finally know for sure where the show crumbles apart, because aside from the really cheesy dialogue at the end I actually don't mind the finale. Subaru reunites with Emilia and Re:triggers her romance flag while also clearing the slate clean after that nasty breakup they had. If only the journey up to that point actually built up to the end we got.

I liked the Subaru uglyface episode. It was a few episodes into the third arc which wasn't stellar so far aside from introducing 3 irrelevant cute girls to ogle at + Felt who's still irrelevant. That episode was when Subaru's premise as a guy stuck in a timeloop was actually developed on. Dude feels indebted to Emilia from a previous timeline but the current one doesn't feel she's deserved all the help she's receiving from him so far. That's very legitimate. It made me want to see how the show would Re:solve this.

But it doesn't. After this he resets a few times from screwing up, progresses a bit, resets once because he didn't know things he doesn't know(like a re:verse Hanekawa)(okay I'll stop the re:) at the time, and then succeeds, helping and reuniting with Emilia pretty much like how he's always done things before that point. He goes 'ok emil i do all this shit cuz i like you' which on its own is a legit reason to die horribly again and again(who wouldn't die for a cute girl) but what the fuck happened to the debt he feels toward before-reset-Emilia? That shit never really got resolved. Subaru doesn't sit down to consider why he does all this, Emilia still doesn't know about Subaru's past resets and its made irrelevant by an 'I love you'. If that's not a failing I don't know what is.

Emilia is gone for most of this arc which is not necessarily a bad thing because she's boring but it's also a missed opportunity to build up on what she feels. Because all I got from finishing the show was that after she rebukes and leaves Subaru for showing his scum side, she goes back home and sulks about it, maybe, I don't know, they don't really show anything, and then stays depressed for a while. Did she just forget what they argued about? Because as soon as she started seeing signs of Subaru helping her out again, albeit indirectly, she forgives him when she reunites with him, even though him helping her and treating her special was the problem in the first place. Again this is handwaved away with 'emil i luv u', fuck. Instead the show focuses mainly on Subaru's side and that's still fine, they could've shown him trying to resolve his dilemma and improve himself. Instead Subaru's conflict is resolved by Rem going 'i love that u suck'. After gaining his motivation back from the shallow blue-headed semen demon he stops acting like how he's been acting so far in this arc and starts acting like how he's always been acting before this arc began. I don't know, I don't feel this is a very good resolution to his character either, that doesn't really exist until this arc.

Considering everything since after uglyface episode's been going in the wrong direction, Betel's episode was pretty great. It felt like it made the show shift towards another yet unseen direction, and the road seemed like it could be interesting. Instead it leads to the 'i like how u suck' Rem speech I said earlier. Now Betel-chan's episode feels like a waste.

Afterwards it was smooth progress up to the whale fight that honestly dragged too long, and Wilhelm, dude's nice, doesn't have bullshit, is strong and all, but he didn't need all the screentime the show wasted on. We know he's a guy fighting for his ded waifu but the flashbacks were mainly on how he met and fell in love with her, so they didn't really add anything to his character barring that he used to look like a shounen prettyboy. A much shorter flashback of say, their last goodbye or something like that would've conveyed it well enough and might've been better. Again, wasted episode.

The last arc wasn't really all that interesting with how the writer/director portrayed Betel afterwards that leaves him feel not all that mighty or threatening anymore. And the last episode really felt like a corny action movie, with the 'cool' lines, 'snappy' comments, and car(t) chasing scenes, and 'emil suki'.

All in all I enjoyed Rezero, I was really drawn in for the first arc, and I liked the mansion arc as well although I felt that it had an episode too many. Second half of the show went downhill though, like the author was trying to do something grand but wasn't capable of it because at the end of the day it's just another isekai novel but now everyone thinks Subaru is a walking otaku MC deconstruction. He's not. Other than being a neet and spontaneously saying some otaku lines he's anything but. He's physically capable, he's confident, he doesn't shy away from pretty girls, traits that otaku neets certainly don't have and matter a lot more than surface-level jokes and meme poses.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: Reeeeeee0   Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:22 am

I think I'll take this chance to rant about waifus and context, and what I'm basically talking about is this mofo
the mofo:

I had an issue with something which kinda peaked at episode 23. If you remember, there is this scene where, for the first time, Subaru addresses the village to get them away from the cult, the village starts bringing up Emilia and Subaru, in disbelief, continuously asserts that Emilia is unrelated, like it's the most obvious thing.

But here is the thing: They are right. The cult does not attack random villages for kicks, they attacked to give the ordeal of sloth to Emilia specifically, and after them the white whale was going to do the same for gluttony apparently. Emilia is 100% related to the event, they do have a right to be upset. Of course she is not to blame for the attack, the attackers are, blaming her would be equivalent of banishing journalists because ISIS declared jihad on them, but there is a minor difference there. That attacks happen at places with white haired half elves is a known fact, said person is an authority figure in the area, and does nothing about it. Live in a secluded place, live in a well guarded city center, install proper security in the place you are living, anything but living near an unprotected village far away from an organized city will do, this is the equivalent of the local government going "The city is under threat from terrorist attacks because they are after members of our administration specifically, but we won't increase security, I'm sure you'll be fine."
 That being said, the view of the villagers is based on prejudice, the same prejudice we saw in episode 14 with the people out at the newsboard who were upset at the half elf joining the royal selection (when Subaru automatically rebuked them again because of it), because there is a vague perceived connection between her and some witch who will bring the end days. Slight detail though, again, they are right, as we learn in episode 24, Emilia is the vessel of the witch, she is to inhabit her body to return to the world, so it's not really prejudice at that point, it's a pretty valid concern if the person who you consider to be the equivalent of the devil has a realistic chance to have absolute authority over the entire country.

Which brings us to the ultimate point: Why? If everyone hates you, is monarch really the best career option? Just why does Emilia believe that she is so necessary to the country that despite everyone hating her, she must be the ruler. This isn't one of those noble aspirations, like, I have no legs but I'll run with prosthetics in the paraolympics, this is monarchy, this is acquiring absolute authority over the nation without the consent of the ruled subjects, it's not the kind of thing where you just go "Follow your dreams, no one has the right to say otherwise!" because it's pretty bad when no one has the right to tell an aspiring ruler otherwise. Now, you may argue that she is doing it to fight the prejudice against her and help those who are in similar situations, but she is not the right person for that as she actually is the vessel of the witch, she is the very reason prejudice exists. She cannot claim that she is the most competent either as she has let the one village under her jurisdiction be slaughtered by an attack everyone was aware was possible, while at the very least she could hire a few dudes with swords for some basic security, instead of leaving it to a clown who's never there, two oni maids and an unstable otaku. Maybe there is not enough money in the domain for that, but I find that hard to believe when she casually gave her fucboi enough money to buy an entire merchant caravan and when there is apparently valuable mining going on in the domain.

Actually I keep saying absolute authority and country, but I have no idea what I'm talking about. Is the royal selection about selecting a ruler? The name suggests so but seemingly there is currently no ruler, the country seems to be governed just fine by a council of elders and the people selected seem to range from "none" to "maybe" experience in matters of ruling, it could be about a ruler, it could be about a figurehead, it could be about a ritual sacrifice, it could be an exaggerated beauty pageant as it seems only pretty girls are eligible. I say country, but I cannot seem to grasp the size of the domain they count be ruling over, it could be a city, it could be the globe. I say that there is no consent of the people but the selection process is also pretty vague. Now, you may argue, it's not about the politics and structure, it's about the characters. Sure, but I think knowing just what it is she is trying to do may be a bit pertinent to Emilia's character.

But hey, maybe none of that matters. Maybe the fact her future subjects hate her does not matter. Maybe the fact she is figuratively holding the world hostage as the vessel of the bringer of the end days does not matter. Maybe the fact she is attached to a spirit who we know is going to destroy the world if she dies, meaning in addition to holding the world hostage figuratively she is also actually holding the world hostage, does not matter. Maybe the fact she has shown clear inability to rule in most respects does not matter. Maybe the fact her only endorsement comes from a lord who is endorsing her despite the fact all of his subjects hate her, does not matter. Because surely she has a good reason for doing what she is doing for the good of the world. Except that at the end of episode 25 she states that she is just being selfish, so no, it's not like the world needs her, it's more like there is something she wants done, so she is going to rule over a bunch of people who absolutely do not want her to, meaning the only person who could justify this, denies it's worth it.

Which brings us back to Natsuki Subaru. He does not have extra knowledge, he knows what we know, including how damn vague the royal selection is, so he is not aware what her being anointed Miss Universe entails. He doesn't just know how she fails at ruling, he doesn't just know nobody likes her, he isn't just aware there are better rulers (Crusch 2016), he also knows why the cult is after her and he knows she actually is the vessel of the witch, and knowing all that he decides to enable her. Oh, you want to rule? Sure honey, that's all I needed to know, let's make Emilia queen! What does a queen do? Don't know, don't care, waifu wants it and that's all that matters. Yeah, people of the village, I know her being here puts your lives in danger, but I really want that pussy so please put up with it. Hey, don't you say she has anything to do with the witch, yeah she may want her body, but I want it more and that's what matters.

In a way, it's a bad cycle. This show is split in two parts, waifu and action. Because waifu, we lack context on what's happening and get events as is, but because we lack context, we also lack development on the waifu, meaning because "that's all this story is about" we don't get context on what Emilia is trying to accomplish and just what is happening in the world, but because we don't have context, we know nothing about Emilia who's character is tied to said context, and when you look into it she comes off as a PoS.

But hey, maybe that's the point, maybe at some point Subaru will find that he is being irrational, that there are significant parallels between his devotion to Emilia and Betelguese's devotion to the witch, and that maybe something else is going on, so maybe this makes a bit more sense and not everyone here is a lost cause. But that doesn't really matter to us, because that's all we are getting out of this story, anime is probably not getting another season anytime soon and Yen press is holding the LN hostage, so that's where it wraps up, and it wraps up somewhere where the characters are kinda f'ed up with the information we have. It would be like watching the Truman Show, stopping before you learned it was a reality show and calling it there, "fun movie, right?", no, it's not fun, it made absolutely no sense because it was missing the entire premise. And that's all in the case something somewhat reasonable is going on, and with what I've seen I'm starting to doubt it.

P.S.: Emilia gave me kidney stone pains to stop me from posting this, clearly the devil's spawn.

Quote :
25 Jun 17, 02:12
J.J. Knight: Every homebrew, at least the good ones, are made by people who've played the game for a few years.

Quote :
marthbeatsfalco: nope, there are 5 distinct and significant angles

This is now the iconic statement sig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reeeeeee0   

Back to top Go down

Reeeeeee0
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum