View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:59 pm

This is my early reaction, but this game sucks.
So I start this and want to play pkmn, go catch some new mons and fight and stuff, but apparently the early game either has you stuck in tutorials forever or for some reason the game thinks you need the kind of pacing where someone babysits you every five minutes "Hey, come with me!" "Follow me to there!" "Have you seen this?" "No, don't go there, come here!" "Oh, it looks like you can't go there, come here instead and do this!" "Hey, did you know that? Here are some basic pkmn stuff, again!"
Yeah, pokemon does that, but not that often. Usually you are in your first pkmn center in minutes, this one took an hour or something.

But you know what, fine, that's not an issue. I mean, I'm annoyed, and we got off to a bad start, but maybe it just happens once and this is not what we are here for. We are here to see new pokemon and catch them and see what we get in new areas and when they evolve and stuff, so let's go and find some new pokemon!

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE NEW POKEMON?!

Why do I run into spearows and rattatas and caterpies and growlithes in the grass?!
I was like, you know what, I won't add whatever I come across into my team this time, I'll only add things that are useful and interesting. So what does my team consist of now?
My starter (the grass/flying thing, don't remember its name, just named it "Ball" because it looked like a ball), "Fat Cat" the promotional Munchlax, "Slime" the Grimer, "Worm" the Butterfree, "Magnets" the Magnemite and "Dog" the Growlithe. Notice something about them? 4 of them are gen 1 and the 5th is a gen 2 that is going to evolve into a gen 1! My starter is the only new mon, the only other alolan mons I caught (the alolan grimer, rattata and meowth don't count, shitty gen 1 reskins) are Trump and the woodpecker. I have no need for the woodpecker because Ball is a flying type and Trump is a shitty normal type.

But hey, I was like, let's be patient, it has to get better than this, and it did! I found a blue crab among some berries! I was like, yay, a mon I can use, it's like I'm playing gen 7 now or something. So I Peck it and it dies. But I'm like, ok, calm down, no need to get mad, there has to be a way to find it again. So I look it up, first thing I looked up because I want the fresh experience, and apparently you can only find it in berry stacks and if you don't get it you have to wait for them to refresh, so now the way to play the game further for me is not playing the game until some f***ing berries come back! WHY?! WTF HAPPENED TO THE GRASS?! Apparently you can't find new pokemon there because the grass was imported from Pokemon Silver or something because gen 1 and 2 are the only shit you can find in there!)(*^%!(P*@^(@^$(@*!&

This game sucks. If I wanted to run around in grass and find gen 1 pokemon, I'd have picked up pokemon yellow from the e-shop, not pokemon sun. I'm pissed and I'll continue to be pissed until this game stops drip feeding me new pokemon and mixing them up in a pile of garbage. But hey, I found a new pokemon just now, a f***ing bug, took me this long to find a new bug, but since it's a bug I'm still pissed and so long as I am pissed they will get mean names, so say hello to "Sh1tfly" the Cutiefly, because Gamefreak wouldn't let me call it "Shitfly" the shitters. Game sucks.

Quote :
25 Jun 17, 02:12
J.J. Knight: Every homebrew, at least the good ones, are made by people who've played the game for a few years.

Quote :
marthbeatsfalco: nope, there are 5 distinct and significant angles

This is now the iconic statement sig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheMole
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Themole

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:05 am

Ok for a start daily Systerms have been in polemon games as early as gen 2 remember catch contests being the only way to get pinsir. Other then that thou the long tutorial start is boring and a headache but once u eventually finish it the slow pace of the game makes for a golden story ^_^

Dr.Chuckles: lol, i love how all ur decks seem to be new and creative, i'd love to duel you one of these days.
Dr.Chuckles: the mole returns and makes a scene. i like it.

By Kimo xP

By Nour =D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:15 am

Not going to bother justifying bad mechanics of previous gens, they were bad then, they are bad now, though as it so happens the bug catching contest gave you more chances than this within the same contest and it only held gen 1 pkmn, none of the new ones. And it's besides the point, I wouldn't have an issue with it if the game bothered to actually show me new pokemon in the grass instead of making me feel there is a pikachu following behind me. Gen 6 also had few pokemon but it wasn't as bad at showing them to you as this.

I get the fact people like the story and all, but I cannot appreciate the story if I don't get to play pokemon. So long as I'm not engaged in finding new mons I am more inclined to keep skipping every piece of dialogue and advancing in between doing other stuff to hurry to the parts where the pokemon finding part gets better.

Quote :
J.J. Knight: Every homebrew, at least the good ones, are made by people who've played the game for a few years.

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kitouski
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

Achievement Points : 2
Waifu : Chino

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:41 am

...was it really that non-new Pokemon dense? I left the first area with my starter, Pikipek, Munchlax, Cutiefly, Charjabug, Ghastly and Petili, three of which aren't new but opted to have over a Fomantis, Rockruff and Yungoos. I found myself having a lot of fun with the small ways you can run into new things in each area, like some Pokemon only being findable when a different one calls for help, or finding a Pokemon under berries. It was like I was actually having to look a little rather than run back and forth in grass. I'm sure this is just a difference in opinions but this has been one of my favorite Pokemon in a long time because it doesn't ignore the fact that there's 802 Pokemon in favor of shoehorning in new things with no reasoning on why the old ones couldn't exist in that region as well. I thought the blend was pretty good.

The stream lined tutorial is a little on the frustrating side though. I like the character development it tries to build but I'm not exactly fond of as much hand holding as it has.

I'm trying a Youtube thing! https://www.youtube.com/user/BearOnStilts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Kimo Force

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:07 am

Don't you dare insult Pikipeck, I won't allow it.

Okay well I'm not technically playing Pokemon Sun, but I am watching someone else play it and let me just outright say that the first island hand-holds you from start to finish. The insane amount of cutscenes do give Kojima a run for his money, and that keeps going for the entire game. Fortunately, the hand-holding does stop after the first island, so you just sort of have to bear a lot of it. The first island is easily the worst part of the game.

Concerning the shortage of new Pokemon, this gen has the least number of new Pokemon for a while. What they did was give a lot of the old Pokemon different variants, which not only changes how they look but even gives them different types and moves to use as well. I'm not going to spoil any of them for you since you said you tried to stay in the dark as much as possible and I'll respect that (sorry for the Toucannon spoiler though). It's worth mentioning that a lot of the older Pokemon only got changes to their evolved forms only, so you'll have to evolve them if you want to see the new stuff, but I will admit that most of them are heavy game-changers.

At first, I used to hate the shortage of new Pokemon, but unlike previous gens, this gave them more time to spend on making them more interesting than usual rather than making just as much as before but only keeping a few of them unique. The first island might not be the best to express that, but the later ones definitely do.

PokeAmie is great but I remember that being in Gen 6. I know it's improved upon but I don't know how much.

Oh and they completely abandoned those stupid HMs! No more HM slaves! They give you a different system which is much more unique and feasible to use.

Also it's worth mentioning that the dialogue in this game is hilarious. Not necessarily the story text, but the flavor text when playing the game normally. I won't spoil anything but do try these:

- Go to your mom's room and examine Meowth's bed
- Buy stuff from the cafe. Try various stuff
- Some of the Pokedex entries are great too

Or it could just be my stale sense of humor. Either way, I haven't been this invested in Pokemon in a very long time, enough that I'm actually taking the time to watch a Let's Play of it.

Also the online functionality in this game is a tutorial nightmare, so if you haven't tried that yet, brace yourself.

EW: also wtf does SJW stand for? Stupid Jealous Woman?
Ryuuji Takasu: looks cute. but cute sounds girly. so ill say kawaii
Lesbihonest: damn kimo you have the sexiest male voice ive ever heard o.o
Rika Furude: no, that wasnt ripped from the Bible or something, it's one of Rika Furude's poems in Higurashi. Deep ****.

Last edited by Kimo Force on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:12 am

Kitouski wrote:
...was it really that non-new Pokemon dense? I left the first area with my starter, Pikipek, Munchlax, Cutiefly, Charjabug, Ghastly and Petili, three of which aren't new but opted to have over a Fomantis, Rockruff and Yungoos. I found myself having a lot of fun with the small ways you can run into new things in each area, like some Pokemon only being findable when a different one calls for help, or finding a Pokemon under berries. It was like I was actually having to look a little rather than run back and forth in grass. I'm sure this is just a difference in opinions but this has been one of my favorite Pokemon in a long time because it doesn't ignore the fact that there's 802 Pokemon in favor of shoehorning in new things with no reasoning on why the old ones couldn't exist in that region as well. I thought the blend was pretty good.

The stream lined tutorial is a little on the frustrating side though. I like the character development it tries to build but I'm not exactly fond of as much hand holding as it has.
If I'm reading bulbapedia right, Charjabug is on the second island, Fomantis on the third. The new mons I've found on the first island were the woodpecker, trump, cutiefly, the rock dog (which I could only access after beating the kahuna for some reason, its name is now "Dog2") and the crab on the berries. EDIT: forgot the cheerleader bird, was annoying, had nothing to hit electric-flying

It is probably a difference in opinion I guess. What I like in a new pokemon game is finding new pokemon and seeing how they get better (not just evolutions, moves and stats). I already know the old ones so I don't really care for them. If you are new to pkmn or if you are feeling nostalgic it's a great game if you look away from the handholding stopping you from playing the game, but for me the low new gen population makes it rank pretty low among pokemon games.

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unknown
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 25
Waifu : therealUnknown

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:42 am

You can get a grubbin on route 1.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
J.J. Knight
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier

Achievement Points : 32

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Al-Bhed wrote:
This is my early reaction, but this game sucks.
So I start this and want to play pkmn, go catch some new mons and fight and stuff, but apparently the early game either has you stuck in tutorials forever or for some reason the game thinks you need the kind of pacing where someone babysits you every five minutes "Hey, come with me!" "Follow me to there!" "Have you seen this?" "No, don't go there, come here!" "Oh, it looks like you can't go there, come here instead and do this!" "Hey, did you know that? Here are some basic pkmn stuff, again!"
Yeah, pokemon does that, but not that often. Usually you are in your first pkmn center in minutes, this one took an hour or something.

But you know what, fine, that's not an issue. I mean, I'm annoyed, and we got off to a bad start, but maybe it just happens once and this is not what we are here for. We are here to see new pokemon and catch them and see what we get in new areas and when they evolve and stuff, so let's go and find some new pokemon!

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE NEW POKEMON?!

Why do I run into spearows and rattatas and caterpies and growlithes in the grass?!
I was like, you know what, I won't add whatever I come across into my team this time, I'll only add things that are useful and interesting. So what does my team consist of now?
My starter (the grass/flying thing, don't remember its name, just named it "Ball" because it looked like a ball), "Fat Cat" the promotional Munchlax, "Slime" the Grimer, "Worm" the Butterfree, "Magnets" the Magnemite and "Dog" the Growlithe. Notice something about them? 4 of them are gen 1 and the 5th is a gen 2 that is going to evolve into a gen 1! My starter is the only new mon, the only other alolan mons I caught (the alolan grimer, rattata and meowth don't count, shitty gen 1 reskins) are Trump and the woodpecker. I have no need for the woodpecker because Ball is a flying type and Trump is a shitty normal type.

But hey, I was like, let's be patient, it has to get better than this, and it did! I found a blue crab among some berries! I was like, yay, a mon I can use, it's like I'm playing gen 7 now or something. So I Peck it and it dies. But I'm like, ok, calm down, no need to get mad, there has to be a way to find it again. So I look it up, first thing I looked up because I want the fresh experience, and apparently you can only find it in berry stacks and if you don't get it you have to wait for them to refresh, so now the way to play the game further for me is not playing the game until some f***ing berries come back! WHY?! WTF HAPPENED TO THE GRASS?! Apparently you can't find new pokemon there because the grass was imported from Pokemon Silver or something because gen 1 and 2 are the only shit you can find in there!)(*^%!(P*@^(@^$(@*!&

This game sucks. If I wanted to run around in grass and find gen 1 pokemon, I'd have picked up pokemon yellow from the e-shop, not pokemon sun. I'm pissed and I'll continue to be pissed until this game stops drip feeding me new pokemon and mixing them up in a pile of garbage. But hey, I found a new pokemon just now, a f***ing bug, took me this long to find a new bug, but since it's a bug I'm still pissed and so long as I am pissed they will get mean names, so say hello to "Sh1tfly" the Cutiefly, because Gamefreak wouldn't let me call it "Shitfly" the shitters. Game sucks.

Pfft. Scrub.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kitouski
WDA Staff
WDA Staff

Achievement Points : 2
Waifu : Chino

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:46 am

Without quoting everything Kimo said as I reason why I think this, I can't help but feel some of you came into this game getting ready to dislike it. I could be completely wrong on that assumption, but a good handful of the Alolan Pokemon are leagues different then their original counterparts, in stats, moves and abilities. Very few come close to just a reskin.

There's also this instance where...

Al-Bhed wrote:
We are here to see new pokemon and catch them and see what we get in new areas and when they evolve and stuff

yet...

Al-Bhed wrote:
I have no need for the woodpecker because Ball is a flying type and Trump is a shitty normal type.

Where we take both of their final evolutions in mind from these two which are both new Pokemon, there really isn't any overlap in role or typing just about whatsoever.

Meh, I dunno. I'm just having a hard time even figuring out where these dislikes are drawn from because the more I think about it the more I realize I felt the complete opposite for the same reasons you listed you dislike it.

(Also, I dun goofed on Fomantis, but Unknown is right on Grubbin which is the pre-evolution of Charjabug.)

I'm trying a Youtube thing! https://www.youtube.com/user/BearOnStilts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:57 pm

I did not come in to dislike it, I would not have bought it if I did (I'm very careful with spending money on video games and my 3ds has very few games because of that)

The statements are not contradictory, while I have happened across certain information on typing and some evolutions, I don't actually go out of my way to look certain things up before I finish the playthrough (watching them would matter a lot less otherwise) therefore if there are typing changes I would often be unaware, there are things I care about as I see them. That is also the reason I assumed you got the bug you mentioned on the 3rd island, I was unaware grabin was its first form, but at the same time I also did not know grabin was on the first island since it appears in 2 specific patches of grass with a 10% chance apparently.
That being said, I was aware of Ball's typing change specifically, but at the same time I know I would go through a big part of the game before that happens going by starter evolution levels, so for the current part of the game I have a flying type and by the time that changes there is a good chance I have found a better flying replacement.

Quote :

Quote :

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks   

Back to top Go down

Pokemon Sun & Moon sucks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum